Some Unknown Interesting Facts About Burritos
Burrito is a Mexican dish which consists of a tortilla and a few other ingredients.
Tortilla is a round, flat and thin bread of Mexico made from unleavened cornmeal or, wheat flour (less common).
If we talk about Mexico, meat and refried beans are used quite frequently for fillings. But you do not have to go to Mexico to eat Mexican food. You can also have the pleasure of eating delicious Mexican food in Hong Kong.
La Vista, Tung Chung is the place where you can eat the best Mexican food in Hong Kong. The place is not just home to Mexican delicacies but also soul-refreshing scenery.
Explore our menu for Mexican food items such as burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, tacos and a variety of other items to fill not just your stomach but also your heart with satisfaction.
In this blog, we will tell you some of the most interesting facts about Burritos. Let us see what they are:
- In Spanish, the word burrito means little donkey. It means the diminutive form of burro, or donkey.
- The name burrito possibly derives from the tendency of burritos to contain a lot of items at a time just like a donkey is able to carry a lot of burden.
- Burritos first appeared in the early 1900s, right around the time of Mexican revolution. This quick and easy food item got recognition around the globe very quickly.
Taking You Back in Time
This is an often-repeated piece of folk history. It is a story of a man named Juan Méndez. He used to sell tacos at a street stand in the Bella Vista neighborhood of Ciudad Juárez during the Mexican Revolution i.e., 1910–1921, while using a donkey as a transport for himself and his food.
To keep the food warm, he used to wrap it in a large homemade flour tortillas underneath a tiny tablecloth. As the food grew in popularity, burrito, the name was eventually adopted as the name for large tacos.
- The first mention of a burrito on a US menu happened in the 1930s at the El Cholo Spanish Café in Los Angeles.
- In 1956, Duane R Roberts invented the frozen burrito after selling frozen burger patties to McDonald’s.
- The word burrito first appeared in the Oxford dictionary in 1958.
- The origins of the mission burrito or mission-style burrito can be traced back to San Francisco in the Mission District taquerias of 1960s and 1970s. It is arguably the most popular burrito style in the United States.
- The breakfast burrito is a take on the American breakfast. It is composed of breakfast items, particularly scrambled eggs, wrapped in a tortilla.
- There’s another burrito i.e., a wet burrito. It is covered with a red chili sauce similar to a red enchilada sauce with shredded cheese on the top.
What is a Burrito Bowl?
A burrito bowl is not technically a burrito even though it is its name. Burrito bowl consists of burrito fillings that are served without tortilla. The fillings are then placed in a bowl and a layer of rice is placed at the bottom.
A chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito. It is popular in Southwestern and Tex-Mex cuisines, and in the Mexican states of Sonora and Sinaloa.
Sushi burrito is a mix of burrito and Japan’s most treasured cuisine with a Chipotle-esque ordering format. One of the most basic differences between burritos and tacos is that the former as a rule are larger than the latter.
Burrito can fill up your stomach all at once but in the case of tacos, you will have to consume several of them to be able to feel like you had a whole meal.
Whether it is a taco or it is a burrito, at La Vista, we have got both to give your taste buds a trip to Mexico. So, what are you waiting for? Come, let’s indulge!